It’s EARLY Spring!!!!
Which means it’s also….flu and head cold season.
The chances of you being exposed to the latest flu or virus is very likely. That’s why I thought I would share my personal tips for boosting immunity to fight/protect you from sickness. Whether it’s a head-cold, stomach bug, the flu or any number of seasonal virus’s that are going around, I hope these tips prove to be helpful.
1. Reduce Stress
First and foremost, when you begin to feel run-down, evaluate your stress levels. Take a step back and evaluate the stress of your day. Maybe you can choose to dial back on pushing yourself too much. Just by being aware of your stress levels and choosing to refocus through taking slow deep breaths can make a big impact on your health if you feel a head cold coming on.
After evaluating your stress levels, cancel as much of your daily schedule as possible. Take a sick day. Then crawl into bed and sleep! sleep! SLEEP! Our bodies are incredible and can heal quicker than we would expect when given adequate rest.
If you would like to improve your sleep quality, check out my post by clicking HERE.
3. Vitamin C.
But wait! Before crawling into bed, it would be wise to increase your vitamin C intake. Because I am a firm believer in getting your vitamins and minerals from whole food sources first and foremost, I would recommend eating fermented vegetables. Believe it or not, one serving of fermented cabbage has higher levels of vitamin C than a whole orange!
However, if you are looking for a high quality supplement, I would encourage you to invest in Dr. Mercola’s Vitamin C . It is an incredible product that I would highly recommend. His supplements are about as good as you can get aside from eating real food. Click HERE to learn more!
4. Bone Broth
Bone broth is the magic elixir for any ailment! It boosts your immune system, heals your gut lining, and contains essential vitamins and minerals. I generally make my own as it is much cheaper than buying a good quality brand from store. You can get my easy recipe HERE. I make a big pot or broth and freeze some for later.
When your sick, however, you usually don’t have much energy to throw together a pot of bone broth. Nor do your care to wait the full 8-12 hours for it to cook as you need to nutrients ASAP! So, that’s when buying bone broth is very helpful and much needed.
Kettle & Fire – Organic Bone Broth is probably the top bone broth that I would recommend. It is made from 100 percent grass fed, pasture raised cattle, organic vegetables and herbs, sea salt and black pepper corns. There are no preservatives, added flavorings or sugars. It is simmered for 24 hours on low heat to produce the best most nutritious results.
Check out the chicken broth HERE!
And the beef broth HERE!
Or get both HERE!
7. OIL OF OREGANO
Oil of Oregano is an essential oil known for it’s antimicrobial properties. This medicinal plant has been used to battle drug resistant bacteria and is shown to have powerful antimicrobial effects against viruses, bacteria, yeast and fungi.
If you already are battling a head cold, this is a great immune boost and will kill off the existing virus. I would advise taking the recommended dosage on the bottle as this is powerful stuff! Use daily until you feel back to normal again.
These are my favorite brands:
8. FASTING AND SUPERFOOD SMOOTHIES
Whether you are feeling under the weather or battling a virus, your body needs all the energy it can get to heal your body. That’s why I would recommend fasting as much as possible. Let’s face it, usually you don’t have much of an appetite anyway when your sick. So when you climb into bed to sleep away those sniffles, don’t worry about eating until you are actually hungry.
When you ARE ready to eat something, I would recommend eating superfoods. Why? Because you get a bigger bang for your buck. A superfood contains far more nutrients than if you just ate a piece of gluten free toast or a few crackers. You need to load up on nutrient dense foods when you have a compromised immune system. (6)
The easiest way that I have found to incorporate superfoods and herbs is in a superfood smoothie. Check out my recipe for a superfood smoothie HERE to get the base recipe to start with. Then I would add a few of the following products:
1. Goji Berries: I would add 1-2 Tablespoons to your smoothie. This is the perfect amount of sweetener for my specific superfood smoothie recipe so you can use it in place honey or stevia.
2. Wild Reishi Mushroom Powder: This powerful medicinal mushroom has been treasured in Chinese herbalism in Asia for over 2,000 years. It boosts your immune system, boosts your mood and overall sense of well-being, and protects you from viruses, toxicity, bacteria, chemicals etc.
I would only use 1/2-1 teaspoon of this powerful medicinal mushroom in your superfood smoothie. It’s powerful stuff!
3. Camu Camu Powder: This superfood berry is a powerful anti-oxidant and loaded with Vitamin C. I would recommend adding 1/2 – 1 teaspoon to your superfood smoothie to start.
4. Shilajit Powder: This powder is loaded with 80+ mineral and fulvic acid which helps remove toxins and assists your muscles, tissue and bones to absorb vital minerals and nutrients. I would start with adding 1/4 teaspoon of this incredible superfood to your smoothie.
For EVEN MORE Tips on How to Boost Your Immune System and Fight the Flu – Part 2 CLICK HERE
2. Reichling, Jürgen, et al. “Essential oils of aromatic plants with antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, and cytotoxic properties–an overview.” Forschende Komplementärmedizin/Research in Complementary Medicine 16.2 (2009): 79-90.
3. Gilling, D. H., et al. “Antiviral efficacy and mechanisms of action of oregano essential oil and its primary component carvacrol against murine norovirus.” Journal of applied microbiology 116.5 (2014): 1149-1163.